Naomi Lazarus' Costume Resume
Resume ~ Naomi Lazarus
4842 Knight St.
Vancouver, BC V5N 3N4
As a period costume designer in the theatre, film and museum industries, my goals are to work on projects with a focus on historical accuracy and detail, to create exciting and realistic visuals to help expand the audience’s understanding of different periods, and to combine my creativity and my knowledge and research skills to create works of dynamic visual and dramatic art that inform as well as visually excite the audience.
- Costume Design: I am skilled at combining design aspects such as colour, shape and detail which I use to translate character and depth visually through costume design. I can create a unified production design, working with director, set and lighting designers, and specialize in period and fantastical costumes.
- Research: I am an experienced researcher, and can draw from multiple sources the aesthetic of a particular time period, culture and class. I have a strong fashion history background.
- Construction: I am experienced in period costume construction and familiar with unusual sewing techniques found only in period costume, such as boning and cartridge pleating. I can draft my own patterns, use commercial patterns, or follow others' hand-made patterns. I can also distress, dye, break down and stain costumes and fabrics.
- Millinery: I have experience as a milliner and can construct hats of a wide range of types and shapes.
- Buying: I am experienced at making the most of a tight project budget and am very familiar with the resources available in Vancouver for inexpensive fabrics, props and supplies and am organized and keep excellent records of purchases.
- Repair and Maintenance: As a designer on small productions and as a costume assistant for other designers, I have a great deal of experience with repair work, both by hand and machine as well as standard costume maintenance work. I am creative and have a wide variety of craft skills that can assist with props and stage maintenance as well.
- Wardrobe Management: I have supervised crews of up to ten, devised budgets and schedules, created and implemented costume archive systems, dealt with rental companies and worked with other designers to create their vision.
- Textile Arts: I can embroider, make bobbin lace, bead, and do various other forms of ornamental textile arts. I also teach several of these skills on a regular basis.
- Fashion History: I have a strong fashion history background, and have taught the subject up to the college level.
Head of Wardrobe/In-Residence Designer:
- 2017-2018 - Anna Wyman School of Dance Arts
- 2007-2016 – Collingwood School: "The Diary of Anne Frank", "Amadeus", "The Crucible", "Harvey", "Scenes From American Life", "The Laramie Project", "The Visit", "12 Angry Men", "The 39 Steps", "The Farnsworth Invention", "Witness for the Prosecution", "The Crucible", "The Diary of Anne Frank", "The Dining Room", "Amadeus"
- 2005-2011 – Spectral Theatre Society: "Hamlet, Prince of Denmark"; "Dead Ends IV":"Pyewacket"; "Black Holes": "Tranquility Station", "The Unbecoming of Dr. Kronor", "The Visitors"; "Dead Ends V": "The Good, the Bad and the Unclean", "Succubus-A-Go-Go", "The Dweller In the Dark"; "The Late Night Double Feature": "Necromance", "Bayswater Station", "The Visitors", "Pyewacket", "The Good, The Dead and the Unclean"; "Tales from the Toadstool": "The Story of Erisichthon"
- 2004 - 2005 - Head of Wardrobe, United Players Theatre
Freelance Design Credits:
- 2016 –"Comfort Cottages", Western Gold Theatre
- 2015 –"Jeeves Intervenes", Chemainus Theatre Festival
- 2015 - "Three Tall Women, Western Gold Theatre
- 2015 – "The Boy With the Enchanted Hands", Mortal Coil Performance Society
- 2014 – "The Winter’s Tale", Classic Chic Productions
- 2014 – "The Cripple of Innishmaan", Ensemble Theatre Company
- 2014 - "The Farnsworth Invention", Ensemble Theatre Company
- 2013 - "The Diary of Adam and Eve", Ensemble Theatre Company
- 2011 - "Little, Little, Little Theatre", William Maranda Productions
- 2008 - "The Velvet Edge", Spectral Theatre Society
- 2008 - The Three Sisters, 3rd St. Series,Presentation House Theatre
- 2007 - "Zastrozzi", Enlightenment Theatre
- 2007 - , Centre for Creative Initiatives
- 2007 - "An Ideal Husband", 3rd St. Series,Presentation House Theatre
- 2006 - "The Rocky Horror Show", Wicked Awesome Theatre
- 2006 - "Chasing The Money", Green Thumb Theatre
- 2006 - "Cranked", Green Thumb Theatre
- 2006 - "The Taming of the Shrew" and "Kiss Me, Kate", ShowCase Festival
- 2006 - "Lock Up Your Daughters", North Shore Community Players
- 2006 - "The Seagull", Mice and Mentors Co-op
- 2005 - "The Ladies of the Camellias", Earn The Nose Co-op
- 2005 - "A Month in the Country", United Players Theatre
- 2005 - "Hamlet, Prince of Denmark", Spectral Theatre Society
- 2005 - "Translations", Mice and Mentors Co-op
- 2004 - "Bus Stop", Metro Theatre
- 2004 - "The Lady's Not For Burning", United Players Theatre
- 2003 - "Cinderella, a Panto", Metro Theatre
- 2003 - "You Say Tomatoes", Metro Theatre
Film and Television:
- 2018 – Truck Costumer, Shuttlecock, Crazy 8’s, des: Jacqueline Ryan – 3 days
- 2017 – Seamstress, Once Upon A Time, Kitsis/Horowitz, ABC Studios, des: Eduardo Castro – 10 days
- 2017 - Seamstress, Altered Carbon, Mythology Entertainment, Skydance Television, des: Ann Foley – 3 days
- 2017 - Costume Designer, Woodman, Steampowered Films/Crazy8s Film Festival, dir: Mike Jackson
- 2016 – Cutter/Seamstress, Let The Right One In, LTP Productions, des: Candace Cruikshank – 2 days
- 2016 - Cutter/Seamstress, 1922. 1922 Productions, des: Claudia DaPonte – 4 days
- 2016 - BG Costumer, William, William Productions, des: Beverly Hunyh– 2 days
- 2016 - Cutter/Seamstress, The Lair, Walt Disney Productions, des: Kara Saun – 1 day
- 2016 - Splinter Set Super/BG Costumer, No Tomorrow, Ultra Productions, des: Farnaz Khaki-Sadigh – 16 days
- 2016 - BG Costumer – Beaches, Beaches Production Ltd., des: Rhona Meyers - 5 days
- 2016 – Cutter/Seamstress, BG Costumer, Shut Eye, TriStar Television, des: Carla Hetland – 7 days
- 2016 – Cutter/Seamstress, Rufus 2, Pacific Bay Entertainment, des: Eilidh McAllister– 10 days
- 2016 - Costume Designer, Outpost Alpha, Creepy Corridor Productions, dir: Steven Stiller
- 2016 - Cutter/Seamstress – Intruders, Nine Productions, Inc. des: Cynthia Summers – 1 day
- 2016 – Set costumer/Cutter/Seamstress, Timeless Pilot, Kripke Productions, des: Wendy Partridge – 11 days
- 2016 – Cutter/Seamstress, Travelers, Netflix Original Series, des: Mandi Line – 3 days
- 2015 – Prep Costume Assistant/Build, Tomato Red, Octogon Films, des: Claudia DaPonte- 1 day
- 2015 – Prep Costume Assistant/Alternations, Christmas Truce, Odyssey Media, des: Claudia Da Ponte - 5 days
- 2015 – BG Costumer, The Flash, DC Entertainment, des: Kate Main- 1 day
- 2014 – Costume Designer, The Hole, Creepy Corridor Productions, dir: Steven Stiller
- 2014 – Costume Assistant, Black Fly, Black Fly Productions, des: Dawn Grey - 16 days
- 2014 – Prep Costume Assistant, Wayward Pines, Blinding Edge Pictures, des: Mary E. Vogt - 2 days
- 2013 – Costume Assistant, Standard Action, Season 3, Critical Hit Productions, des: Vanessa Driveness– 3 days
- 2012 – Asst. Costume Designer, Standard Action, Season 2, Critical Hit Productions, des: Vanessa Driveness– 20 days
- 2007 - Costume Designer, Leela Gilday's One Drum music video, dir: Helen Haig-Brown
- 2007 - Costume Designer, The Pruning Act, Spectral Films, dir: Simon Hussey
- 2006 - Costume Designer, Love and Honour, On the Lot, dir: Drew Taylor
- 2006 – Production Designer/Art Director, Bumper Skiing, 29.97 Films, dir: Charles Zuckermann
Awards and Nominations:
- "Woodman", Nomination, Best Costume Design in a Dramatic Short Film, Leo Awards, 2018
- "The Rocky Horror Show", Best Costume Design, Ovation Awards, 2006
- "Cinderella", Nomination, Best Costume Design, CTC Awards, 2003
Extra Related Projects:
- 2012-Present, BCos Custom Cosplay Creations
- 1995- 2018 - Design and construction of 5 Medieval and Renaissance Pavilions
- 2005 - 2013 - Design and construction of several wedding dresses
- 2005, 2010 - Costumer, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets rock band
- 2007 – Guest lecturer, History of Fashion, Kwantlen College
- 2009 - 2010 - Private costume commissions for the Vancouver Pride Parade
- 1990-2001 - Teaching of a variety of classes from basic costume research and design to theatre etiquette for children and adults.
Return to the Main Costumes Page.